Your LapBand fills are the most important part of the follow-up care that you need to succeed in your Weight Loss Journey. There is very little written about LapBand Office Fills. Many people assume that the “office fill” is the best way to have the LapBand adjusted. Take some time to read through this information about office fills, and contact your Doctor if you have any questions.
Facts About LapBand Office Fills
- It is a fast profitable growing medical business as the LapBand population increases in number
- It is very rare that the Bariatric Surgeon is involved with the lapband fills
- The Office Fills are cheap for most of the patients
- No need for Doctor’s infrastructure (fluoroscopy)
- It is easily done at the Doctor’s office
- The Nurse is often in charge of doing the fills for patients
- There is a learning curve to adjust the gastric band properly
- The fill might go into the fat instead of the port, and the need to return for another fill is frequently seen
- You can get a leak from the hose due to needle puncture or penetration (due to multiple intents to reach the port’s target area)
- The Doctor will not know your lapband status with an office fill
- The Doctor can’t detect early avoidable complications
Office fills are an option for lapband adjustments. However, we do recommend having lapband fills done under fluoroscopy guide. If this is not possible, have your lapband checked under fluoroscopy at least once a year to determine the status of your lapband system and to check for any complications.